Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is an integral part of Cairn’s business philosophy and strategic planning, as sustainable and inclusive growth in our area of operation is essential for the holistic development of communities that are the target beneficiaries of our CSR initiatives.
The CSR activities of Cairn are guided by these core values:-
- Protecting Stakeholder Interests: We proactively engage with relevant stakeholders, understand their concerns and are responsive to their needs
- Proactive Engagement with the Local Communities: We respect the dignity of individuals and foster positive relationship with the people in the project areas where Cairn operates
- Inclusive Development: Our CSR practices & programs complement and support the developmental priorities at local, state and national levels and promote diversity through affirmative action
We conduct CSR programs keeping in mind two interlinked objectives:-
- To have a measurable positive impact on the socio-economic status of the local community in our area of operation.
- To develop relationships of mutual trust with the community and achieve inclusive growth.
Our CSR Approach
We adopt a parallel, triple focus approach, to engage with the community, build relationships of trust, respect and goodwill and fulfil our corporate responsibility:-
Community Engagement Cell: For the purpose of creating a platform for one-on-one connect, to address any grievances of the local community. This also facilitates the implementation of a transparent process for registration of local labour and for vehicle and equipment hiring. Cairn initiative has been identified as a Best Practice by IFC (International Finance Corporation).
CSR welfare programs: These programs may have a micro or macro perspective, depending on the local need identified as well as scope of coverage vis-à-vis target groups and beneficiaries. Our focus is on the overall socio-economic development of the area through interventions in health, education, skills and capacity building trainings and through identifying employment and sustainable livelihood opportunities. We target all households in our area and attempt to ensure inclusive growth.
- Cairn teams conduct these initiatives and manage weekly events for direct engagement and dialogue with community members. This helps build mutual trust and a sense of community ownership of the interventions, necessary to long term sustainability.
- Our programs are planned and implemented in partnership – (a) With large and well known service providers / NGOs (b) With state government to ensure sustainability, execution support and leveraging government schemes.
Local vendor development: Ensures inclusive growth and is responsible for significant economic contribution to the local community. We have institutionalized a process through the creation of a vendor development cell, local content policy, quality and HSE training and recognition.